FLAP covers the State of Illinois and focuses on an 18 Counties area in Northern Illinois: Cook, Lake, DuPage, Will, Kane, Kendall, Grundy, LaSalle, DeKalb, McHenry, Boone, Winnebago, Ogle, Lee, Carroll, Whiteside, Stephenson, and Jo Davies.
We have educated more than 100,000 workers on their rights distributing community education and delivering Know your Rights presentations.
One comes here thinking we are going to find a better life. We trust in the promises that our employers make us, but then it turns out they are false. I would never have moved forward with the case if FLAP had not stood by me every step of the way.
Some people might think a week’s pay that we never received is not worth a lawsuit. That money, however, is the only source of sustenance that my family and I have for the next month. FLAP understood this and helped us fight for our rights.
I used to think that legal rights were only for the benefit of people with money. But FLAP did not ask me for any money; all they asked for was my trust. The fact that FLAP staff spoke Spanish made me feel comfortable. Now I know that the laws are not made just for the rich and that I too can fight for my rights.
I like the fact that FLAP will visit us in the fields and in the nursery and see the real conditions under which we work. You taste the water we have to drink; you see the bathrooms we have to use. Seeing FLAP staff in the middle of the field under the burning sun, talking to us about our rights really made me want to trust them
AnonymousNursery Worker & Former Client
Since its founding in 1999, FLAP has been the only non-profit organization in Illinois, in the Midwest, and one of only a handful like it in the United States, that makes sure low-income workers who are exploited at work, and have no foreseeable way of fighting back — either because they cannot afford an attorney or, because of their classification, cannot access Federally-funded legal aid — are treated with dignity and guaranteed their legal rights.
With your donations, we have achieved the following:
- Educated more than 100,000 low income workers on their rights
- Partnered with more than 50 organization to improve working conditions in Illinois
- Distributed over 100,000 community outreach and educational material
- Delivered an average of 1,440 “Know your Rights” presentations per year — an average of 4 presentations per day
- Received as many as 12 telephone calls daily from workers requesting assistance
- Filed more than 207 lawsuits in federal and state courts
- Sent more than 80 demand letters in the name of our clients
- Recovered more than 4.7 million dollars in back wages and illegal deductions
Would you like more information about FLAP'S services?
Ask us about your work rights. Pregunteme sus derechos en el trabajo.
FLAP partners with over 50 organization in Illinois, including non-profits, consulates, libraries, and law firms.